|1. Describe the appearance of a plasma concentration–time graph for a drug.
2. What do you understand by the term “exponential”?
3. How else could these data be presented?
4. What information could you gain from the graph?
– Derive the volume of distribution (Vd), clearance (CL), elimination half-life (t½) and the elimination rate constant (K)
– What is the context-sensitive half time?
– Discuss how to calculate dosing intervals in relation to the data derived.
– Discuss one-, two- and three-compartment models, comparing muscle relaxants and propofol
as an example.
5. Discuss the uses, presentation and mode of action of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
– What is the difference between COX-1 and COX-2 inhibition, and the respective side-effects?
– Discuss prostaglandins, thromboxanes, prostacyclin and leukotrienes.