A 3-year old boy scheduled for bilateral myringotomy and tubes has clear rhinorrhea and a temperature of 39 degrees centigrade orally.
1. Do you proceed, or cancel the case?
2. You proceed with the case. Will you intubate? Why or why not?
3. Would the presence of a productive cough influence your decision on whether or not to proceed?
A bronchoscope has been used on a patient suspected of having AIDS.
1. How will you sterilize the instrument after the case?
2. Is there a need for special precautions when administering anesthesia for AIDS patients?
5. Should all patients be screened for Human Immunodeficiency Virus?
Anesthesia for extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy
1. Compare epidural vs general anesthesia for this case.
2. You use general anesthesia. Is high frequency ventilation useful? Why or why not?