1. How do rotameters operate? What are their underlying physical principles?
2. Explain the Venturi Principle and how it would be applied in anaesthetic practice.
3. Are there any ventilators that work on the Coanda effect? Discuss these ventilators and the principle underlying their function.
4. Define the following:
– Critical temperature
– Critical pressure
– Critical flow
5. What is the filling ratio?
6. Discuss the pressure changes in a nitrous oxide cylinder as it is discharged.
7. Is there a difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure? How can they be measured in practice?
8. Discuss all aspects of a ventilator of your choice.
9. There are two types of diathermy. What are the main differences between them and how are these differences achieved? Draw a waveform for both.
10. What equipment in the operating theatre uses a capacitor? What is the importance of capacitors in practice?
11. Draw a Wheatstone bridge. You may like to access this article on the Wheatstone bridge to see if you were correct.
12. Draw a scavenging system and explain the pressures involved.
13. List the basic SI units.
14. Explain how a laser works.