Obstetrical anesthesia- prolapsed cord
A patient is admitted in active labor, with a diagnosis of prolapsed cord.
1. How do you monitor fetal status?
2. What is your anesthetic management if there is fetal distress?
Pediatric anesthesia- Pierre Robin Syndrome
A 4-week old female with Pierre Robin Syndrome presents for repair of an incarcerated inguinal hernia.
1. How would you manage the airway?
2. Would you want controlled ventilation, or would you allow spontaneous ventilation? Explain your rationale.
3. Is it necessary to use a non-rebreathing circuit? Why or why not?
Emergency surgery in a cocaine addict
A 30-year old man who admits to daily use of cocaine requires surgery for relief of a small bowel obstruction.
1. Would a regional anesthetic be preferred? Why or why not?
2. You select regional anesthetic. What technique would you use? Explain.
3. You select general anesthetic. What agents would you use for induction and maintenance?
4. What are the effects of cocaine on anesthetic requirements?