|1. Anatomy of the orbit
- What is the length of the optic nerve in the orbit?
- How would you perform a peri-orbital block?
2. Anatomy of the coronary circulation
- Where is the sinus of Valsalva?
- Name the branches of the coronary arteries.
- Describe the blood supply to the sinoatrial node and the atrioventricular node.
Teach a newly joined operating department practitioner about a failed intubation drill.
4. History taking
Take the history of a 60-year-old man presenting for transurethral resection of the prostate.
5. History taking
Take the history of a 44-year-old woman presenting for hysteroscopy. The patient has a family history of malignant hyperthermia.
Examine all pulses and pressures (arterial and venous).
Describe how you would perform an intra-osseous needle puncture in a child.
- Under what circumstances is this procedure performed?
- How much fluid should be given?
- What problems are associated with this procedure?
Describe how you would insert an intercostal drain.
- What are the indications for inserting an intercostal drain?
- What is the importance of the length of the tubing used?
- How would you connect two or more bottles?
9. Equipment check
Check the equipment needed for a difficult intubation.
- Are there any faults with this equipment?
- What other equipment would be needed?
- How do they work?
- How are they affected by high altitude?
- Demonstrate how you would perform paediatric basic life support.
- Describe the management of adult ventricular fibrillation.
12. Chest X-ray
You are presented with an X-ray showing mitral stenosis and asked a series of associated questions.
13. Data interpretation
Describe the usefulness of a flow-volume loop in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and answer some questions on COPD.
Describe the technique of performing an epidural during labour.
- What complications might arise?
Describe the use and mechanism of action of a paramagnetic oxygen analyser and a fuel cell oxygen analyser.
16. Data interpretation
You are presented with some data pertaining to a woman with pregnancy-induced hypertension and asked some questions regarding her management.