|1. Discuss performing pre-oxygenation in a fit, young adult.
– What would be the PaO2 and PaCO2 after 10 minutes? (Answers should be justified using the alveolar gas equation, oxygen dissociation curve and oxygen cascade)
- Discuss shunt in the lung and derivation of the shunt equation.
2. What is the definition of a hormone?
– Name the various classes (e.g proteins, prostaglandins, catecholamines etc.) and explain how they exert their effects.
– Discuss second messenger systems and describe one in particular
– Discuss the regulation of hormone activity and draw a typical negative feedback loop (e.g. TRH/TSH/T4+T3).
3. Discuss blood flow to the brain, giving numerical values (% cardiac output, ml/100 g/min)
4. What is cerebral perfusion pressure and how is it controlled?
5. Draw the cerebral blood flow auto-regulatory curves for mean arterial pressure, CO2 and O2.
6. What is the Monroe-Kellie doctrine?
7. What is the site of manufacture of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)? What is the volume and specific gravity of CSF?