Your Examiner describes a patient in the accident and emergency department with features of a tension pneumothorax.
1. How would you treat the patient?
2. Draw the arrangement of a chest drain bottle.
3. How far does the tube go in the water and why is this?
4. Why is the bottle so large?
5. How long should the tubing be?
6. Why should the drain not be lifted above the patient?
7. Draw the arrangement of bottles used to drain a haemothorax and suction.
8. What would you do if the drain stops swinging/bubbling?